Monday, August 12, 2013

Guatemala City mural

Last month I had the opportunity to add another dot on the map of places I’ve painted murals. This time I stepped out of Kenya and went to a new country--Guatemala! I traveled with a group from Texas to work with Engadi Ministries, an inspiring organization committed to stopping the cycle of gang involvement and drugs in Guatemala City’s young men. Engadi’s founder, Nathan Hardeman, had a big challenge for me…An outdoor mural on a 28’ x 12’ wall, and only 3 days to complete it. I had never painted outdoors before, nor had I painted a wall that was so big it required a ladder. This time, I worked with a group of 4 others (including my mom, who was part of the team!) and we put in 3 hard days of labor to get the job done.

Engadi’s logo is a silhouette of a boy reading a book under a tree, so I took that concept and expanded it to include rays of light emanating from the book and a quote from Jesus Christ. Because the school we painted at was a public school, I was not able to put the chapter and verse reference with the quote. It reads:

Y conocerán la verdad, y la verdad los hará libres. 

The English translation is:

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32



I hope that the students who see this mural daily will realize that there is hope beyond this world for them, no matter their situation. I told as many students as I could that these were “palabras de Jesucristo”, or words of Jesus Christ. And I encouraged them to pass it on.

The building before...

...and after


The morning audience, elementary school kids

The afternoon audience, upper grade kids

Painting rays of light

The team that made it happen: Emily, Maddie, me, Carlos, & my mom

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I feel like such a dork as I've been secretly following your blog through your adventures in Africa and now, Guatamala - and haven't commented yet. You inspire me and your posts make me stop, think, and remember what's important in life a lesson that I could never receive too many times. I love seeing where you go next and who else you are inspiring by The Word. I'll be praying for you and where ever life takes you next (and thanks for sharing a portion of it with us!)

    xoxo,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I really enjoyed touring Kenya via your blog! Great job~on the paintings, the photos of the children, the writing, the flexibility (including playing basketball in a dress!) Wow! I'm just amazed. You've done more that beautify walls, you've beautified lives. Sheila Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete